Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region

Russian missile and drone strikes killed 12 people in Kyiv and one in the Kyiv region, while attacks also damaged sites in Odesa, Chernihiv and Mykolaiv.

Aug 20, 2026 - 12:08
0
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region
Russia strikes Ukraine with missiles and drones; 13 dead in Kyiv region

By Ahmet Taş | Wise News Press

KYIV, UKRAINE — Russian forces launched a large-scale overnight missile and drone attack across Ukraine on August 20, killing at least 12 people in Kyiv and one person in the Kyiv region and injuring around 40 others, according to Ukrainian officials cited in local reports.

Novosti-N, citing President Volodymyr Zelensky, emergency services and regional authorities, reported that Russia used attack drones, ballistic missiles and cruise missiles in the assault. Civilian infrastructure was damaged in several regions, including Kyiv, Odesa, Chernihiv and Mykolaiv, while a border crossing between Ukraine and Moldova was also reported hit.

The casualty figures changed repeatedly during the morning as rescuers searched damaged residential buildings. The latest figure in the supplied reports put the death toll at 12 in the capital and one elsewhere in the Kyiv region.

Residential buildings, hospital and school damaged in Kyiv

Kyiv suffered the heaviest reported consequences of the overnight strikes.

According to Ukraine’s emergency services, explosions, structural damage and fires were recorded in the Solomianskyi, Sviatoshynskyi and Darnytskyi districts of the capital.

In Solomianskyi district, the eighth and ninth floors of a nine-story residential building were destroyed, while a fire affected the seventh through ninth floors.

Rescue crews worked through the damaged structure searching for residents and checking whether people remained trapped beneath debris.

Windows were blown out at several other residential buildings. Fires were also reported involving cars, garages and a shop.

A medical facility sustained damage, with windows shattered and a fire reported in an auxiliary building and a vehicle. Emergency services later said that fire had been extinguished.

The reports also said people were trapped in two residential buildings and in a shelter at a school.

President Zelensky said a children’s hospital and a school were among the civilian facilities damaged during the attack.

The precise scale of the structural damage was still being assessed as rescue and municipal crews continued operations.

Fires and destruction reported across three Kyiv districts

Sviatoshynskyi district was also heavily affected.

A strike was reported on the grounds of an industrial facility. Emergency crews tackled fires in two warehouse buildings covering approximately 500 and 1,000 square meters.

Another warehouse fire covering about 500 square meters was reported at a separate location.

Initial emergency-service information said one person had been found dead there while rescuers were attempting to free another person from beneath rubble.

In Darnytskyi district, a strike hit a non-residential site, causing fires in warehouses and vehicles across an area of approximately 1,000 square meters.

Rescuers removed one person from the danger zone and handed the individual over to medical workers, according to the reports.

The reported death toll rose steadily during the morning. An early update listed six people killed and 33 injured. A subsequent statement cited eight deaths, before later reports put the number of fatalities in Kyiv at 12.

The changes reflected the continuing search of damaged buildings and recovery operations.

Kyiv declares August 21 a day of mourning

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko announced that August 21 would be observed as a day of mourning for those killed in the attack.

Flags on all municipal buildings are to be lowered to half-staff, while state institutions and privately owned buildings have also been encouraged to lower Ukrainian flags.

Entertainment events in the capital are to be suspended during the day of mourning.

Meanwhile, emergency teams and municipal workers continued clearing debris and inspecting damaged locations in Solomianskyi, Sviatoshynskyi and Darnytskyi districts.

Authorities cautioned that the final casualty count could still change while search-and-rescue operations remained underway.

The overnight assault was one of the most serious attacks on the capital in recent weeks according to the sequence of reports provided, with damage ranging from residential buildings to medical and educational facilities.

Drone strike damages Ukraine-Moldova border crossing in Odesa region

The attack extended well beyond Kyiv.

President Zelensky said one of the targets of Russian attack drones was a border checkpoint between Ukraine and Moldova in the Odesa region.

The facility was damaged, though the supplied reports did not specify casualties at the crossing.

Ukraine’s border with Moldova is an important civilian and logistical corridor in the southwest of the country, particularly for road traffic and cross-border movement.

Damage was also reported in the Chernihiv region, where gas infrastructure was struck.

The extent of the disruption to the regional gas network was not immediately detailed in the supplied reports.

The geographically dispersed incidents illustrated the scale of the overnight attack, with targets and damage reported from the capital to Ukraine’s southern and northern regions.

Woman injured as drones strike Mykolaiv region

Russian drone attacks were also reported in the Mykolaiv region.

According to the Mykolaiv Regional Military Administration, the region was attacked several times during the previous 24 hours, including with Shahed/Geran-type strike drones.

In the Veselynivska community, a 46-year-old woman was injured during one of the attacks and taken to hospital.

Officials said her condition was stable as of the morning of August 20.

A private residential house was also damaged in the same area.

Another attack struck the Ochakiv community, damaging the roof of a non-residential building. No injuries were reported there.

Russian forces also attacked the Ochakiv community twice with FPV drones, according to regional officials. Those strikes were not reported to have caused casualties.

Mykolaiv and the surrounding Black Sea region have repeatedly faced drone, missile and artillery attacks during the war because of their proximity to frontline areas and the southern maritime theater.

Rescue operations continue as casualty figures rise

Emergency operations were launched simultaneously at numerous locations after the strikes.

The response involved personnel from the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, medical teams, police, municipal workers and other emergency services.

In Kyiv, rescuers concentrated particularly on damaged multi-story residential buildings where people were feared trapped.

Teams extinguished fires before entering damaged structures, while other personnel evacuated residents and secured surrounding streets.

The casualty figures published during the morning changed as teams reached new sections of the rubble.

The latest supplied report said 12 people had been killed in Kyiv and another person in the Kyiv region, with approximately 40 people injured overall.

Because search operations were continuing, authorities indicated that the toll remained subject to revision.

The material provided for this report did not include a corresponding Russian Defense Ministry statement describing the intended targets of the overnight attack.

Zelensky calls for more Patriot interceptors

Following the strikes, Zelensky renewed his call for stronger Ukrainian defenses against ballistic missiles.

He said Ukraine was continuing work on a program identified as FREYJA, aimed at strengthening the country’s interception capabilities, while stressing that additional Western-supplied air-defense ammunition was still needed.

In particular, Zelensky again called for more interceptor missiles for Patriot air-defense systems.

Ballistic missiles present a significant defensive challenge because of their speed and flight characteristics, making specialized air-defense systems particularly important for protecting major population centers and infrastructure.

Ukraine has repeatedly asked its partners for additional Patriot batteries and interceptors as Russia continues combining ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and large numbers of drones in complex attacks.

The August 20 assault again demonstrated the broad geographical reach of such strikes. Heavy casualties and residential destruction were reported in Kyiv, while damage was also recorded at the Moldova border in Odesa region, gas infrastructure in Chernihiv and residential areas in Mykolaiv.

Kyiv will observe a day of mourning on August 21 as rescue workers continue operations and authorities assess the full extent of the damage.

WiseNewsPress.com

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
Ahmet Taş

Ahmet Taş is a journalist, editor and Turkey Office Manager of the Wise News Press Media Group. He works across news, digital media and international publishing, focusing on accurate, responsible and accessible journalism. He contributes to the development of media projects that bring important political, social and global developments to a wider international audience.

Comments (0)

User