Zelenskyy: US sets June deadline for Russia-Ukraine peace deal

President Zelenskyy reveals the US has set a strict June deadline for a peace agreement, as heavy Russian attacks cripple Ukraine's energy grid.

Feb 07, 2026 - 23:48
Updated: 3 months ago
0
Zelenskyy: US sets June deadline for Russia-Ukraine peace deal

By Ahmet Taş | Wise News Press

KYIV, UKRAINE — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced on Saturday that the United States has issued a deadline of June for Ukraine and Russia to finalize a peace agreement, aiming to bring an end to the four-year-long war.

The statement follows a round of inconclusive trilateral negotiations held in Abu Dhabi earlier this week. Zelenskyy indicated that the Trump administration is expected to exert significant pressure on both Kyiv and Moscow to adhere to this summer timeline.

"Americans want war to end by summer"

Speaking to the press, Zelenskyy detailed the U.S. position, stating, "The Americans are suggesting that the parties end the war by the beginning of this summer, and they will likely pressure the parties according to this exact schedule."

He added that Washington wants all events tied to a clear calendar. As part of the accelerated process, the U.S. has proposed hosting the next round of trilateral talks next week on American soil, likely in Miami. Zelenskyy confirmed Ukraine’s participation.

During the briefing, Zelenskyy also disclosed that Russia had presented a $12 trillion economic proposal to the U.S., referred to as the "Dmitriev package," named after Russian envoy Kirill Dmitriev.

Intensified attacks on energy grid

The diplomatic ultimatum comes as Ukraine faces renewed devastation of its energy infrastructure. Zelenskyy confirmed that on Saturday night alone, Russia launched over 400 drones and approximately 40 missiles targeting the energy grid, generation facilities, and distribution networks.

State grid operator UkrEnergo reported that this was the second mass attack on energy infrastructure since the beginning of the year. The strikes forced nuclear power plants to reduce production after key high-voltage substations were hit. Consequently, the electricity deficit in the country has "significantly increased," leading to extended hourly blackouts across all regions.

Deadlock over Donbas

Despite the U.S. push for a June resolution, significant hurdles remain. The Abu Dhabi talks failed to produce a breakthrough, primarily due to disagreements over the Donbas region. Russia continues to demand Ukraine's withdrawal from Donbas, a condition Kyiv says it will never accept.

"The difficult issues remain difficult. Ukraine has once again reaffirmed its position on Donbas," Zelenskyy said, expressing frustration at the disproportionate concessions being asked of his country. He argued that a "stop where we stand" model is currently the most fair and reliable formula for a ceasefire.

Zelenskyy also expressed skepticism regarding a U.S. proposal to turn the contested Donbas region into a "free economic zone" as a compromise, citing fundamental differences in how such a zone would be implemented.

www.wisenewspress.com

Source: Emma De Ruiter / EURONEWS

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
Editor

Editor | Wise News Press — Delivering accurate, timely global news with integrity, insight, and editorial responsibility.

Comments (0)

User